March 22, 2010

Not all who wander are lost

I have been in Montreal for almost three months now. And I don't miss Holland. I'm just not sure if I should be worried or relieved. It makes me wonder.

I've been on a few trips since I got here: New York, Boston, Quebec City, Toronto... Oh yes, I know, my troubled life. But it surprised me that every time I would cross one of the bridges back to the island, I sighed and thought "Ah.. Home again".

So, where is home? And does everybody always have one? At all times? The other day one of my classmates, who is going on exchange in September, said: "I don't know where I will be ending up when I come back, I don't really have a home right now".

One could say home is where your family is and that makes perfect sense, don't get me wrong. But is that your home or the family's home? Or is your home per definition the same place your family's home is? Or is home where most of your friends are? And for that matter, does the amount count or the depth of the relationship?

I feel it gives me a sense of freedom, not exactly knowing where I am from. My mom always said: "You are brought into the world, not into a country".

I guess it doesn't really matter.
I guess home is where your heart is.
I guess I just need to figure out where mine is then.

I'm afraid I already know.

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog Ninine ! I can't beleive you met all these great people in your class ! Must of been amazing !

    My definition of home would be : Montreal... lol !

    Seriously you've brought it up perfectly, it's where your heart is.

    Have a good week !

    Max Beaulac !

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Nazbaby, you accidentally opened Pandora's box with that one - you are where your heart is. It is true.

    Now think about your heart, and how often it changed its mind during your life, and how unexpectedly things happen. All expats and new age nomads would agree - and that is why it is so hard to feel like you belong somewhere after you move the first time. Moving is like falling in love, it looks like it makes sense, but in the end it never feels as pure as the first time.

    We judge places by the people we meet. The worst places in the world can be the most wonderful ones if the special people who love you made them so. The tragedy of the modern world is that people move around, and places changed their faces constantly. I think that is the main reason why where your parents and few childhood friends live will always feel like home - humans need consistency.

    Take it from us who have pondered this issue for many years - it is the most difficult question of all... like someone i know, i define it by smell - when you go home, and you step out of your building for the first time, you get goosebumps, because it smells like home. The place feels familiar, safe, and it loves you regardless of the fact that you ran away from it. And you feel so guilty at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your home is where ever you feel home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gald you finally found your place is this world, sis.. Never heard you so loved up about your surroundings before. Just know that your 'place is empty' and ur being missed.. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete