February 28, 2010

Honeymoon is over

And so it seems that I'm slowly passing the first phase on the culture shock curve and the honeymoon phase is surely coming to an end. However, I refuse to believe that this phase is always followed by one filled with anxiety and hostility towards the new culture. I believe it's more like reality smacks you in the face and I am becoming aware of the fact that even though it's still ultra-cool to live in Montreal, Montrealers are still ultra-cool people and the ultra-coolness of the city still makes me smile every morning I get up and every time I walk the Montreal streets, life is still life.

After having spent a week in the USA, visiting New York and Boston, and being torn by thoughts about where I would like to start my professional life, study break is over and now I need to pull myself together. Once again, I underestimated the amount of pages I need to read and the pace with which I would be able to do that. Luckily, history has taught me that I perform better under pressure, and so it happens that the upcoming days will be filled with studying, studying, drinking tea and studying.

But I praise myself lucky with an apartment that still provides me with a view on the city and a humble view on the skyline so that every time I look up, slightly annoyed by the fact that I am forced to stay in and catch up on my readings, I see Montreal and I can feel a smile appearing on my face.

1 comment: